Monday, January 17, 2011

Day of Change

   Have you ever had something happen to you that was an omen for change in your life? The day of change for me happened on Jan 4, 2011. I live in Fargo ND, where the weather can get cold. There are adverbs you can add on to cold that describe ND winter, but I will just say it is cold.
   I wear eye glasses. I have been wearing them since I was 14 yrs old. When I went into work that morning, as soon as I walked in, my glasses fogged up. As I took them off to see, the frame broke. This pair of glasses were 6 yrs old and cost $500. My sister and I have talked that if I ever needed new glasses, that I should look into have laser eye surgery instead. If I am going to spend $500 on glasses, I might as well put that money toward eye surgery.
   I made the appointment to see the eye doctor. There are 2 ways for eye surgery. One is Lasik, where a flap is cut in your cornea, and you surgery is done. In that procedure your eye sight recovers quickly and life can go on with little interuption. The other way is PRK. In PRK the cornea is washed away and the laser does you eye. Down side for this one is that  recover time takes months to have totally clear vision, where as Lasik revovery time is days. The up side for PRK is that you eye is more stable, and you don't have to worry about the flap being dislodged.
   The doctor told me that my only option was to have PRK. It seems I have a wave in my left cornea and it can not be cut. That eye also also has astigmatism. With PRK, both problems will be corrected. So I decided that I would have that surgery. It will be on 27 Jan 2011, at http://www.laserprofessionals.com/. The doctor is Tom Strinden.
   Your probably thinking, what does that have to do with changing my life. I have always been uncomfortabe about wearing glasses. Using them as shield to hide behind. Keeping me from being more outgoing. I have a kept my thoughts and opinions to my self. Why would anybody care what I think? Would you be interested in that I am?
   I have always been a fan of all motorsports. My dad only had to take me to one race and I was hooked. http://www.theracinglife.com/  I grew up on a farm in Milnor ND which my two younger brothers now run. I was in the US Navy from Jun 93-97. I was stationed on the USS Bunker Hill CG-52 based in Yokosuka Japan. I was on their from Oct 93-Sep 95. My last duty station was at Explosive Ordinance Disposal Mobile Unit 3 (EOD MU 3) located on the Amphibious Base in Coronado CA, Dec 95-Jun 97. If you don't know, that base is were the US Navy Seals have their training. After the getting out of the militay I went back to the family farm. I worked their and at other farms located in SE ND. I got my CDL drivers license Dec 2003. Feb 04 I got hired at http://www.j-mar-enterprises.com/ to be a local driver, and eventually becoming an OTR driver. I left j-mar Sep 08 bounced around several jobs, when eventually I got hired as a dump truck driver for Asplin Excavating on Aug 2009 to the present. I also am a fan of ATV's, RC Cars, and various music (country, classic rock, 80's music, heavy metal, smooth Jazz.) Those are just some of things I will blog about. If that being more outgoing thing doesn't work out, I have at least a forum to let what ever is inside my head out.
  This just seemed to be a sign for change. What better time then the beginning of a new year. Could this be another new years resolution to be broken?
   I HOPE NOT

2 comments:

  1. It's always good to journal to have a record of where you've been, what you were thinking when you were there, etc. If anything, more than the surgery, which I'm sure is exciting, starting to journal regularly will bring about some major shifts in your life experiences. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete